Title: The centrality of partnerships in disarmament education efforts: Launch of the UNODA Disarmament Education Strategy
Since the launch of the United Nations Secretary-General report on disarmament and non-proliferation education and its 34 recommendations for action, over twenty years ago, in 2002, the relevance of disarmament education and its contribution to global agendas has been increasingly recognized, not only among Member States and international organizations, but also among civil society, academia, educators and other stakeholders at global level.
Informing, educating, engaging and empowering individuals lies at the core of the work of the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA). At the end of last year, the Office published its first-ever Disarmament Education Strategy. The strategy represents a consolidated effort to strengthen the sustainability and impact of the Office’s work, and respond to the pressing need for authoritative, far-reaching, and inclusive disarmament education amidst an increasingly challenging disarmament and international security landscape. It underscores UNODA’s comparative advantages in the field of disarmament education due to its unique expertise and impartiality, as well as its convening and connecting power. Additionally, it emphasizes the central role of partnerships and UNODA’s commitment to continue to generate, connect and bridge relevant networks in the disarmament education field moving forward.
The global launch event was opened by the High Representative for Disarmament Affairs, Ms. Izumi Nakamitsu, followed by a panel discussion with distinguished experts and representatives of key stakeholder groups, including government, the media, academia, and former participants of UNODA’s flagship educational and youth initiatives. The dialogue was moderated by Ms. María Antonieta Socorro Jáquez Huacuja, Director for Disarmament, Non-Proliferation and Arms Control at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico.
The Disarmament Education Strategy is available on the UNODA website at https://disarmament.unoda.org/disarmament-education-strategy/
Agenda and Speakers
Master of Ceremony
- Ms. Rebecca Jovin, Chief, United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) Vienna Office
- Ms. María Antonieta (Tonie) Jáquez, Director for Disarmament, Non-Proliferation and Arms Control, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico
- Ms. Izumi Nakamitsu, Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for Disarmament Affairs, United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA)
- Mr. Anthony Deutsch, Amsterdam Bureau Chief, Reuters
- Ms. Lia Holla, Disarmament #Leader4Tomorrow
- Mr. Fernando Marques, Alternate Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of the Republic of Angola to the United Nations (Vienna) & former UN Disarmament Fellow
- Prof. Zia Mian, Co-director, Princeton University Program on Science and Global Security